The father who fought a legal battle over the death of his son in Barrymore Pond dies at the age of 76 | UK news

A father who campaigned for 20 years to find out the truth behind his son’s death has died in artist Michael Barrymore’s pool.

Terry Lubbock, 76, who was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year, made what he described as his “final appeal” in April to witnesses as he fought for a new investigation into the death of his son Stewart.

31 years He was found dead at Barrymore’s house at the time In Roydon, Essex on March 31, 2001, after a party.

Barrymore said he was saddened to hear of Terry Lubbock’s death, adding: “Essex Police must continue to pursue justice for the Lubbock family, which I will continue to fully support.”

His friend Harry Sechey, who paid tribute to Terry Lubbock, said, “He died sadly, because he died knowing that people never really knew what had happened. But no one could fight more for his son.”

“The new investigation is what really matters to him. He lost faith in the police. Unfortunately, he died not knowing if there would be another investigation.”

The retired tool maker and driver, who lived in Harlow, Essex, was divorced and had another son. He had urged others with information on Stewart’s death to come forward, saying in April: “For me, the clock is ticking, and time is running out.”

During his campaign, he produced a DVD and co-wrote a book called Not Awight.

Terry Lubbock with a photo of his son Stewart
Terry Lubbock with a photo of his son Stewart. Photography: Harry Clichy/PA

In 2009, a report by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) supported six of the 36 complaints made by Lubbock regarding the Essex Police investigation.

It found that two of the tools that police photographed at the scene – a 12-inch pool thermometer and a door handle – were not subsequently found or accounted for. Two senior officers apologized on behalf of the force.

“Everything has been covered up. We have to dig much deeper,” Lubbock told the Guardian in 2009.

No charges have been brought against anyone in connection with Stewart’s death. Essex police arrested a man in March on suspicion of the outrageous assault and murder of Stewart Lubbock, and released him without charge in August.

An autopsy showed that Stewart Lubbock had sustained serious internal injuries, indicating that he had been sexually assaulted. Alcohol, ecstasy and cocaine were all found in his bloodstream. The investigator scored an open judgment.

Barrymore, now 69, was arrested in 2007 but never charged. He then sued Essex Police, claiming his wrongful arrest cost him around £2.5m in lost earnings, but appeals court judges concluded he should receive symbolic damages.

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *