When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- As states begin to reopen following the COVID-19 shutdown, travelers are making vacation plans for summer and beyond.
- For vacationers who prioritize maintaining social distance, Airbnb allows visitors to book a private house or apartment without interacting with other guests.
- East Coasters or urban dwellers craving a pine-scented getaway should consider the uncrowded Adirondacks in upstate New York for year-round mountain scenery, refreshing lakes, and outdoor activities.
- We compiled highly-rated Airbnbs across the Adirondack region to accommodate a variety of budgets, with nightly rates ranging from $94 to $283, plus one splurge-worthy lakeview castle for special occasions.
- Read all Business Insider travel reviews.
As states start to reopen, travelers are gravitating towards destinations within driving distance of home that offer ample space for social distancing.
The Adirondack Park in upstate New York is a 6-million-acre patchwork of towering mountains, old-growth forest, and freshwater lakes, making it easy to find seclusion. It feels very remote but is only a 4-hour drive from both New York City and Boston.
The Adirondacks have been popular since the Gilded Age when wealthy industrialists flocked to their wilderness retreats to escape city life. Today, visitors may participate in a variety of outdoor activities year-round. In summer consider fishing, swimming, boating, and hiking. In winter, enjoy top-notch downhill skiing at Whiteface Mountain, as well as ample opportunity to snowshoe, ice-skate on frozen lakes and Olympic ice, and cross-country ski on miles of groomed trails. In autumn, a spectacular display of crimson, amber, and orange leaves weave a photogenic tapestry of fall color.
Small towns like Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, and Bolton Landing are some of the dozens of quaint villages that dot the region. There’s a yesteryear quality to these resort towns, with alfresco lakefront dining and old-fashioned mom-and-pop shops.
Traveling elsewhere on the East Coast?
As safety is on the minds of most travelers right now, rest assured that experts consider renting an Airbnb to be one of the safer options. That’s because Airbnb homes are mostly private accommodations without the potential risks associated with crowded hotel lobbies, elevators, and public dining spaces.
However, it’s important to note that there is still no vaccine for the novel coronavirus, and therefore, no guarantee for absolute safety. We recommend following CDC, WHO, and other reputable organizations safety guidelines, and to wear a mask, wash your hands frequently, and maintain social distancing.
Fortunately, some Airbnb hosts have implemented stringent new cleaning measures. Airbnb Enhanced Clean was developed with the assistance of medical and hospitality experts. These rigorous upgraded cleaning standards include a standardized 5-step cleaning process, a room by room checklist, and more. Keep in mind, though, that not all hosts are necessarily part of the new program.
All Airbnbs we selected garnered a cleanliness score of at least 4.5 out of 5. Many are hosted by Superhosts, which are experienced hosts who earned this title by providing an exemplary guest experience time and time again. Additionally, homes all meet the following criteria:
- All listings are in private homes, cottages, or apartments (no shared bathrooms).
- All are highly rated having earned an overall score of at least a 4.68 out of a possible 5. Several have earned a perfect 5.
- All properties allow easy access to nature, so get ready to linger in front of a crackling campfire, dive into the glassy surface of a clear lake, or fish in a rolling river.
These are the best Airbnbs in the Adirondacks, sorted by price from low to high.