Oliver Craig / Android Authority
TL DR DR
- In Seattle, a Samsung phone caught fire.
- The crew had no choice but to install evacuation slides and remove all passengers. No one was seriously injured.
- Reports indicate that the phone was a Galaxy A21.
Last evening, at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, a landing plane had a serious problem. The fire created so much smoke that crews using inflatable slides began an emergency evacuation of all passengers. No one was seriously injured.
Allegedly, the phone suddenly exploded and a small fire broke out. The crew used a battery containment bag to put out the fire. By this time, however, the smoke was so high that staff considered evacuation necessary.
The incident was dealt with swiftly and no other flights were affected that day.
All lithium-ion batteries used in smartphones and other electronics are at risk of fire and explosion. This should not be seen as a problem with the Galaxy A21 or any other Samsung phone. It was probably an isolated incident that just happened at a bad time. Thankfully, no casualties were reported.