Port Authority pauses $2.1 billion LaGuardia AirTrain plan to review alternatives at Hochul’s request
Subscribe to our site New York Newsletter Get the latest coverage and stay up to date on the 2021 elections in your area and across New York City
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey slammed the brakes on a controversial $2.1 billion LaGuardia AirTrain proposal to review alternatives at the request of Governor Cathy Hochhol, the agency announced late Tuesday afternoon.
“At Governor Hochul’s request, the Port Authority is conducting a comprehensive review of potential alternative mass transit options for LaGuardia Airport,” a statement from the two states authority read shortly before 5 p.m. on October 12. The Port Authority will temporarily stop taking further action in connection with the LaGuardia AirTrain project.”
“The agency will work in close consultation with independent experts and stakeholders, and will complete its work as quickly as possible, consistent with the need for the review to be comprehensive and rigorous,” the statement added.
This announcement comes a week after Hochul said she wanted the agency to do so Search other options, potentially spoiling the extravagant proposal so strongly favored by her disgraced predecessor, former Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Rick Cotton, CEO of the Port Authority He said recently on September 30 That the 2.3-mile elevated people drive between Queens Airport and Mets Willits Point stations on Line 7 and the Long Island Railroad was the best way forward, but said officials would provide “any review that Governor Hochhol would like.”
The project has drawn criticism for not providing a one-seat flight from the airport to Manhattan, and for taking passengers bound for the island East in the wrong way before moving them.
Other options that would have provided single-seat rides, but were rejected during an environmental review, included extending the N/W subway line, building a better bus service, or introducing a ferry service.
Authority officials argued that this was the best option because it did not penetrate any residential neighborhoods.
Environmentalists and neighborhood advocates took their concerns before the US Court of Appeals and File a lawsuit against the Federal Aviation Administration and the Port Authority last month for failing to consider other possible transit options.
The project was ready to go when President Joe Biden’s Federal Aviation Administration turned it green in July, but after Cuomo resigned in August due to a barrage of sexual harassment allegations, the train’s future has become uncertain.