Newcastle United 0-0 Burnley: The magpie was sent off on penalties

Newcastle United disappointed them in the penalty shootout to close the door in a domestic cup competition before the end of August.

less profit magpie bird He had the chances of winning the title in regular time but they couldn’t find a way to get past Wayne Hennessy against Burnley.

Despite managing 18 shots before penalty kicks, the burden fell on United’s two most creative stars Miguel Almiron and Alain Saint-Maximin, but both saw their attempts saved by the 34-year-old Clarets keeper.

Penalty successes by Sean Longstaff, Joelinton and Joe Willock, as well as a save by Freddy Woodman deny Josh Brownhill anything as Burnley outscored the score 4-3.

Before the penalty kick was counted, coach Steve Bruce’s side looked the most likely, but the lack of conviction gave Burnley a chance to secure a place in the third round.

Clarett won the pre-match toss and opted to shoot at Galugit in the second half, no doubt ex-Newcastle boss Steve Stone offered him to do so.

United started the match nervously before Javier Manquillo broke the right in three minutes, but a cross pass to the back post was kicked by veteran Wales international player Hennessy.

Newcastle needed 10 minutes to score their first goal attempt when Jeff Hendrick caught the ball on the edge of the area but his attempt crossed the goal in his former club’s goal.

Burnley offered little money in return in the first quarter and were quick to shut down United as they tried to increase the pressure.

The visitors’ first chance came midway through the first half when Jay Rodriquez tried his luck from distance but hit the crossbar.

Two minutes later, Sean Longstaff’s foul shot fell to Joelinton only as the Brazilian follow-up effort hit the Burnley defender before head coach Sean Dycke’s side eliminated the danger.

Hendrik then witnessed two off-goal shots for the missed knees on either side of the half-hour mark as Newcastle stayed ahead.

In the 33rd minute of the match, Jamal Lascelles jumped high to send a header over the bar as United struggled desperately for the breakthrough.

Despite a lively first half, in terms of reclaiming the ball in the middle, Newcastle could not find a shot on goal let alone the opening goal and went at the same level at the break.

Magpies should have taken the lead four minutes into the second half when Joelinton cut the ball through Hendrick but the Republic of Ireland international fired a close-range shot into Hennessey’s body and blasted the effort over the bar.

Ten minutes into the second half, Ciaran Clark’s long pass on the left from Dwight Gale, who had been barely in contention up to that point, however, the former Crystal Palace man’s shot hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced back to safety for Burnley.

Three minutes later, Ryan Fraser’s corner kick found Joelinton on the back post, but despite his victory over Burnley’s big men in the air, his header bounced off the post.

With the match still deadlocked midway through the second half, Bruce sent Allan Saint-Maximin to warm up as Newcastle began to run out of ideas.

Gill, though, got another good chance in the 70 minutes as Joelinton hit the ball from the right side only to knock Hennessy out again and create vital block.

Manquillo was next to try his luck with a stinging right-sided effort that turned Hennessey.

But Bruce switched his sub with Saint Maximin and introduced Joe Willock in the last 15 minutes to replace Gayle and Mankilo.

The double change raised the crowd as Newcastle were looking to find a winner without the need for penalties.

Burnley star Dwight McNeil attempted a daring effort 10 minutes before the end of the match, but his effort was high and wide at Galugit.

The final dice roll for United’s coaching staff came seven minutes before the end of the match to replace Fraser with Miguel Almiron.

The Scottish striker gave it his all and fired dozens of balls into the penalty area before he ran out of steam.

Thus, this penalty shootout, as Saint-Maximin’s masterful dribbling failed to pay off with Hennessy’s rescue before Chris Wood netted.

Fair Willock but Ashley Barnes beat Woodman.

A powerful blow from Jolinton set things right again, but McNeill beat Tone’s guard again.

With the pressure mounting, Sean Longstaff made it 3-3 and Woodman gave Newcastle a great opportunity by turning down Brownhill.

However, Almiron looked unsure and once again saved the goalkeeper before Charlie Taylor dealt the fatal final blow to the League Cup campaign in Newcastle.

Attendance: 30.082

Referee: Oliver Langford


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.