Hungary fans scuffle with police at Wembley at the start of the England match | 2022 World Cup Qualifiers

Hungary supporters took part in more gruesome scenes as they clashed with police officers at the start of their team world Cup Qualifying match against England on Tuesday evening.

FIFA is likely to launch an investigation after a problem occurred in the visiting side during the first 10 minutes and the incident would raise more questions about the behavior of Hungary fans.

The Metropolitan Police said the problem started when its officers entered the far end to arrest a fan suspected of racially abusing a host.

The mobile supporters were subsequently scrutinized Racist abuse targeted England players in Budapest last month More sanctions are expected from FIFA after the latest wave of chaos.

FIFA’s disciplinary committee has moved after Judd Bellingham and Raheem Sterling were targeted with monkey chants when England won 4-0 at the start of September. Hungary ordered to pay a fine of 158,000 pounds They were forced to play last Saturday’s World Cup qualifier at home to Albania behind closed doors. The penalty for the second match stood without spectators for two years.

That punishment came after that Hungary has been asked to play its next three UEFA competition matches at home behind closed doors Following incidents of racism and homophobia at Euro 2020, with one of those matches suspended for two years.

Hungary fans hold a banner against their knees during the 2022 World Cup qualifiers at Wembley.
Hungary fans hold a banner against their knees during the 2022 World Cup qualifiers at Wembley. Photo: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian

But judging by the behavior of Hungary supporters at Wembley, the effect of these sanctions appears to be minimal. There was a hint of what would happen when they booed when both teams took the knee before kick-off – there was also a banner expressing opposition to the anti-racism gesture – and it wasn’t long before the fight broke out.

The Metropolitan Police Events Twitter account said: “Shortly after tonight’s match at Wembley began, officers entered the podium to arrest a spectator for a public order racist offense following comments made towards a host. When the officers made the arrest, minor disturbances erupted which included Other spectators. Order was quickly restored and no further incidents occurred at this point.”

Soon, police officers got involved in clashes with Hungary’s black-shirted supporters. The police appeared to have used batons in an attempt to restore order, but they were confused and forced back into the lobby.

The police presence did not seem to intimidate Hungary’s supporters. Pockets of them also moved toward sections of the house after John Stones scored the equalizer for England shortly before the break. However, they were unable to cross the safety net.

The problems will also raise questions about security measures at Wembley. UEFA has opened an investigation into the disturbance that occurred when England lost to Italy in the final from the euro. Ticketless fans can get in By storming the turnstiles there is a chance that UEFA will order England to play at least one home match behind closed doors.

Hungary’s manager, Marco Rossi, refused to talk about the behavior of his team’s fans. “I don’t want to comment on this situation,” he said. “This is not my job. Everything I can say can be interpreted differently.”

The Football Association said: “We are aware of an incident in the remote section during tonight’s FIFA World Cup 2022 qualifier match at Wembley Stadium. We will investigate and report the incident to FIFA.”

Tyrone Mings said England’s players were not bothered by the Hungarian fans’ boos at the knee. “We have been criticized for taking the knee and we have collectively stood together with enthusiasm,” the England defender said. “That made us as a team. It doesn’t change when people hold banners or disagree.”

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *