- If your iPhone’s voicemail isn’t working, there are several simple troubleshooting steps you can take to get it working again.
- Get started by making sure that the voicemail and greetings on the Voice Mail tab of the phone app are properly set up.
- You can also check to make sure call forwarding is not on and by dialing the number directly to make sure the voicemail service is working on the carrier.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference Library for more stories..
These days, most people value the iPhone’s visual voicemail, but over the years it has been one of the strongest selling points for Android on Android. At a time, only the iPhone lets you view a list of incoming messages, without listening to them all, one after the other.
In fact, it is easier to fully recognize voicemail, even if it stops working for some reason. If your iPhone’s voicemail isn’t working – either part of it is bad or voicemail doesn’t work at all – here’s your one for troubleshooting and backing up and running voicemail There is a stop shop.
What to do if your iPhone voicemail is not working.
Make sure your iPhone has voicemail setup.
It sounds obvious – and it is – but you need to make sure your voicemail is set up properly on your iPhone. If you have recently switched carriers (or similar career plans), you may need to perform an initial voicemail configuration.
1. Get started The phone App
2. Tap Voice mail Tab at the bottom of the screen.
3. If it hasn’t been set up yet (or needs to be reset), tap. Set up now.. Follow the instructions to create a voicemail password and select or record a greeting.
Default greetings? Make sure you use greetings as needed.
If you see that your outgoing voicemail greeting is a default message – usually an automatic voice says that the subscriber is not available, and to leave a message – instead of a personalized personal greeting recorded by you , It is possible that it was toggled by custom. The default is easy to fix.
1. Get started The phone App and tap. Voice mail Tab at the bottom of the screen.
2. Faucet To greet At the top left of the screen.
3. On the greeting screen, you should see a checkmark for it. decided Or Customized. If it is currently set. decided, Tap Customized.
4. To see the greeting preview, tap. Play. To record a new greeting, tap. Record, Speak, and tap. stop When you are done.
5. Faucet save it..
Make sure you don’t turn on call forwarding.
One common reason voicemail stops working is that you set up call forwarding at some point in the past and forgot to turn it off. Your calls are being sent to another phone number, so no calls are received on the iPhone and voicemail messages are not recorded. Here’s how to check your call forwarding status:
1. Get started Setting App
2. Faucet The phone.
3. Faucet Call forwarding.
4. On the Call Forwarding page, check your forwarding status. If call forwarding is enabled, swipe the button to the left and turn it off.
Check your voicemail by dialing directly.
There may be a problem with your voicemail service on the cellular carrier. Here’s an easy way to check:
1. Get started The phone App
2. Tap Keypad Tab at the bottom of the screen.
3. Tap and hold. 1 Key until the phone dials your voicemail. You should listen to your saved messages.
You can also go. Keypad In the tab The phone Dial the app and your phone number manually by entering all 10 digits. If you do, you’ll probably need to enter your voicemail four-digit PIN or passcode.
If you do not remember your passcode and want to reset it, or if your iPhone cannot be manually connected to your voicemail, ask your cellular provider’s customer support to resolve the issue. Contact.
Turn your cellular service on and off again.
To be completely transparent, this is unlikely to solve the problem – but it is very easy to do, so you should definitely try it before moving on to the more time consuming trouble shooting steps. You may be able to restore your voicemail by turning off the cellular radio and turning it on again. Here’s how:
1. Pull out Control center Bottom right of the screen.
2. Tap Airplane mode Button at the top left of the screen.
3. Wait about two minutes and then turn off. Airplane mode Tap the button a second time.
4. Wait for the cellular radio to reconnect and try your voicemail again.
Close and reopen the phone app.
Often, software glitches are easily resolved by simply restarting a device or program that is misbehaving. If you’ve reached this point and your voicemail still doesn’t work, either turn off your iPhone, wait a minute and then turn it on again, or close the phone app and then the phone app. Start a second time. If the app encountered a minor software issue, it may work now.
Check for carrier setting updates.
Cellular carriers sometimes update their settings. Normally, these updates are installed automatically and you don’t have to worry about it. If an update is not installed, though, it is possible – not likely, but possible – that it could interfere with your voicemail. You can manually update your carrier settings through the Settings app.
Reset your network settings.
If your voicemail service seems normal but it still doesn’t work on your iPhone, you can reset your phone’s network settings. This is a last resort as it will reset all your network settings, including your Wi-Fi networks and their passwords. If you want to try it, however, do this:
1. Get started Setting App
2. Faucet General.
3. Scroll down and tap. Transfer or reset iPhone..
4. At the bottom of the screen, tap. Rearrange.
5. Faucet Reset network settings. And confirm that you want to do so.
How to customize voice mail greetings on your iPhone ‘Why does my iPhone go straight to voicemail?’: How to fix it to make sure your iPhone rings How to delete voicemail at once, or export them to save storage space.