Crisis on the southern border in numbers
Migrants are risking their lives at a record rate as the southern border has become an escape route across the world.
The US Border Patrol reported 213,534 encounters with migrants along the US-Mexico border in July, the highest monthly total in more than two decades, according to Pew research and updated numbers.
August was almost as bad with September numbers coming out soon, according to US Customs and Border Protection.Southwest Land Frontier Encounterstracker. Here are the main points:
- 208,887 border confrontations with migrants in August (50,014 last year).
- 305 “Palace Escorts” in July; 405 in August. (68 and 101 respectively last year).
- 83495 “Person in the Family Unit” in Jul; 86487 in August. (2,05 and 2,715 last year and 3,894 in September, the only data so far for the last month).
In one of the most surprising numbers, the Border Tracker notes that the number of “unaccompanied children” rose 655.6% year-over-year for July and appears to be steady:
- 18,958 encounters with single children in July (2509 last year).
- 18,847 in August (3,103 in 2020).
A Guatemalan anti-corruption activist was quoted as saying: “You’re going to have a million people at the border.” LA Times this week, warning that the poor are now heading north.