At this point in the fight against COVID-19, The Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment Multiple outbreaks have been identified in dozens and dozens of locations. While most have made it to the outbreak list two or three times, some have been in the status of half a dozen or more outbreaks — so much so that they have been under investigation by state health department staff for many twenty months since then. April 2020, when the department began releasing weekly statistics.
These are among what was revealed in CDPHE Latest outbreak reportUpdated December 1st.
Prior to June 1, state health officials declared an outbreak if two or more cases of COVID-19 were linked to residents, employees, attendees, and others in a particular location within a fourteen-day period. Now this standard only applies to health care or correctional facilities. An outbreak elsewhere would require at least five confirmed or probable cases within two weeks.
The 58 new or modified entries in CDPHE’s latest survey are significantly lower than the 113 added November 24, our previous focus on the outbreak. But it is too early to celebrate this achievement. Because of the long Thanksgiving weekend, most new entries were registered in just three days, from November 29-30 and December 1. The delay in leave reports could also lead to the slight decrease in outbreaks under active investigation by the agency: 767 on Dec. 1, down from 770 on Nov. 24.
A total of 23 health care facilities were named with outbreaks on December 1, compared to 35 on November 24. Twenty of them specialize in elderly care, including Casey’s Pond Senior Living LTC in Steamboat Springs, whose recent outbreak marks the fifth such classification; Its four previous outbreaks were among the 6,159 that CDPHE considers resolved. Avamere Transitional Care and Rehabilitation is also rampant in Adams County; Five previous outbreaks have now been resolved. The Adams County Center in Northridge, Thornton Alpine Living Center, Cheyenne Mountain Center in El Paso County and Pikes Peak Center, and Julia Temple Health Care Center in Arapahoe County have all been disbanded. Meanwhile, Colorado State Veterans Home in Fitzsimmons and Keystone Place in Legacy Ridge, both in Adams County, have recorded active outbreaks, plus six have resolved.
Orchard Park Health Care Center in Arapahoe County has a new outbreak in addition to six resolved cases, for a total of seven. A look through its record shows just how much this disease has taken its toll. The first and most serious outbreak in Orchard Park began on April 11, 2020, and was not resolved until June 26 of that year, after 83 resident cases, 69 employee cases, and five resident deaths. The second outbreak began on June 15, 2020, and was resolved a few weeks later on July 5, after two resident cases and one staff case. The third outbreak began on October 27, 2020, and was resolved on November 19 of that year after three resident cases and ten staff cases. The fourth outbreak began on January 4, 2021, and was resolved on February 18 after three resident cases and seven staff cases. The fifth outbreak began on May 10 and was resolved on May 20 after two staff cases. The sixth outbreak began on June 15 and was resolved on July 5 after two resident cases and one staff case. The seventh outbreak began on November 19, with infections counted so far in one resident and two employees.
Other new or modified outbreaks on the December 1 list include 11 schools in K-12, about a quarter of 41 on November 24. This number does not account for outbreaks in six childcare centers (eight cited on November 24) or residences at Colorado State University. There is also a new prevalence among members of the Colorado Mesa University men’s lacrosse team.
Outbreaks have also been identified at an Amazon distribution center in Larimer County, a saloon in Summit County, Safeway in Alamosa County, a Weld County auto dealer, and the Horfano County Sheriff’s Office.
Here are the 58 new or revised active outbreaks identified by CDPHE in its December 1 report, along with the date the outbreak was cited and the people affected by it:
1 – COS-2 Aerospace Construction Site, Construction Site, El Paso County, 11/17/2021, 6 Personnel Issues
2. Amazon Distribution Center DDE8, Distribution/Business Center, Larimer County, 11/24/2021, 6 employee cases
3. Aspen Miracle Center, Healthcare, Alcohol/Drug Abuse Treatment (Inpatient), Adams County, 11/24/2021, 5 resident cases, 3 staff cases
4. Aurora Assisted Living (23D453): November 2021, Healthcare, Assisted Living, Arapahoe County, 11/24/2021, 6 resident cases, 2 employee cases
5. Belfort Central Park (23H949): November 2021, Healthcare, Assisted Living Denver County, 11/24/2021, 4 staff cases
6. Bear Creek Center (020435): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Jefferson County, 11/15/2021, 2 staff cases
7. Briar Rose Shophouse and Salon: November 2021, Restaurant, Sitdown, Summit County, 11/29/2021, 5 employee cases
8. Broadview Health and Rehabilitation Center LLC (020321): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Weld County, 1 case for residents, 1 case for employees
9. Broomfield Center for Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation (02R989): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Broomfield County, 11/29/2021, 2 staff cases
10. Brush Creek Elementary School: November 2021, school, K-12, Eagle County, 11/29/2021, 4 cases for staff, 12 cases for attendance
11. Buena Vista Middle School, School, K-12, Chaffee County, 11/29/2021, 2 cases for staff, 11 cases for attendance
12. Casey’s Pond Senior Living LTC (020803): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Root County, 11/23/2021, 1 resident, 2 staff cases
13. University of Colorado Mesa – Men’s Lacrosse Team, College/University, Mesa County, 11/29/2021, 5 Attendees
14 – Colorado Springs Public Defender’s Office, Local/Municipal Government Law Office, El Paso County, 11/15/2021, 14 Personnel Cases
15.Colorado State University-Newsom Hall, Durham School/College, Larimer County, 3/11/2021, 8 Attendees
16. Denver Correctional Facility for Women: November 2021, State Jail, Denver County, 11/29/2021, two resident cases, one staff case.
17. Divine Redeemer Catholic School, School, K-12, El Paso County, 11/23/2021, 3 cases for staff, 3 cases for attendance
18. Dynamic Dimensions Inc. – Marion House: November 2021, Healthcare, Home Group, Kate Carson County, 11/15/2021, 2 staff cases
19. Eagle Valley Elementary School, School, K-12, Eagle County, 11/30/2021, 8 attendees
20. Eaton Upper Communities, Healthcare, Independent Living Facility, Jefferson County, 11/29/2021, 9 cases of residents, 1 case of employees
21. Equipment Sharing, Construction Company/Contractor, Arapahoe County, 11/30/2021, 5 Personnel Issues
22. Family Tree GOALS, Homeless Shelter, Arapahoe County, 11/30/2021, 10 resident cases, 1 employee case
23. Fraser Meadows Health Care Center (020301), Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Boulder County, 12/1/2021, 5 staff cases
24. Garfield RE-2 Transportation Dept, School Administration, Bus Depot, Garfield County, 11/30/2021, 6 Personnel Issues
25. Franklin Park Health Center (020439): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Denver County, 11/22/2021, 1 resident case, 3 staff cases
26. Home Day Care – Breckenridge, Child Care Center, Summit County, 11/24/2021, 2 cases for staff, 4 cases for attendance
27. Horizons Care Center (021111): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Delta County, 11/19/2021, 2 employee cases
28. Huervano County Sheriff’s Office: November 2021, Law Enforcement, Huervano County, 11/24/2021, 7 Staff Cases
29. IMA Corp., Office/Indoor Workspace, Denver County, 11/29/20221, 6 Personnel Cases
30. Life Care Center of Pueblo (020641): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Pueblo County, 11/30/2021, 1 resident case, 1 employee case
31. MacKenzie Place Fort Collins (23Z789): November 2021, Healthcare, Assisted Living, Larimer County, 11/19/2021, 3 employee issues
32. McGraw Elementary School, School, K-12, Larimer County, 11/22/2021, 1 staff case, 19 attendance cases
33. Monte Vista Estates (021023): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Rio Grande County, 11/29/2021, 2 resident cases, 2 staff cases
34. Mountaintop Childcare Inc, Child Care Center, Larimer County, 11/22/2021, 5 Attendance Issues
35. Parker Senior Living by MorningStar (23X291): November 2021, Healthcare, Assisted Living, Douglas County, 11/29/2021, 2 resident cases, 3 employee cases
36. Porter Place (2304E7): November 2021, Healthcare, Assisted Living, Denver County, 11/24/2021, 2 employee cases
37 Purple Moon Early Learning Center Child Care Center Adams County 12/1/2021 4 staff cases 4 attendees
38. Radial, Inc.: November 2021, Office/Indoor Workspace, Call Center, Pueblo County, 11/23/2021, 9 employee cases, 1 employee death
39. Rising Star Early Learning Center: November 2021, Child Care Center, Arapahoe County, 11/29/2021, 3 cases for staff, 2 cases for attendance
40. Riverdale Elementary School, School, K-12, Adams County, 11/30/2021, 5 attendees
41. Safeway #1681: October 2021, Grocery Store, Alamosa County, 10/29/2021, 7 employee issues
42. Saints Peter and Paul Catholic School: November 2021, school, K-12, Jefferson County, 11/23/2021, 2 cases for staff, 8 cases for attendance
43. Sierra Community Rehabilitation and Care (020423): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Jefferson County, 11/18/2021, 1 resident case, 1 employee case
44. Southeastern Developmental Services – Oak St Home, Healthcare, Group Home, Prowers County, 11/30/2021, 3 employee issues
45. Sprouts Farmers Market – E Lincoln Ave #330, Grocery Store, Larimer County, 11/24/2021, 6 employee issues
46. Steamboat Springs High School: November 2021, school, K-12, Root County, 11/30/2021, 8 attendees
47. Stone Creek of Flying Horse (23P651), Healthcare, Assisted Living, El Paso County, 11/26/2021, 4 Resident cases, 1 staff case
48. Independent Schools Academy: November 2021, School, K-12, Adams County, 11/29/2021, 5 attendees.
49. Denver Waldorf School, K-12, Denver County, 11/29/2021, 1 staff case, 8 attendance cases
50. The Gardens Skilled Nursing and Rehab Center of Colorado Springs (020533): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, El Paso County, 11/24/2021, 4 cases resident
51. Goddard School in Erie: November 2021, Child Care Center, Weld County, 11/17/2021, 1 case staff, 4 cases attended.
52. Joshua School: November 2021, school, K-12, Arapahoe County, 11/29/2021, 4 staff cases, 1 attendance case
53. The Legacy at Sterling (23P250): November 2021, Healthcare, Assisted Living, Logan County, 11-30-2021, 2 staff cases
54 – The Sunshine House of Loveland at Centerra, Child Care Center, Larimer County, 11/23/2021, 2 cases for employees, 9 cases for attendance
55. VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital: November 2021, veterinary clinic, Denver County, 11/29/2021, 5 staff cases
56. Vista Grande Inn (021213): November 2021, Healthcare, Skilled Nursing, Montezuma County, 11/21/2021, 5 staff cases
57. Western Paper Distributors, Distribution/Business Center, Denver County, 11/24/2021, 6 Personnel Issues
58. Windish RV – Longmont, Auto Dealership, Weld County, 11/24/2021, 7 employee cases