London (AFP) – The Duchess of Sussex won, Thursday, the final stage of her longstanding privacy lawsuit against a newspaper publisher for publishing parts of a letter she sent to her estranged father.
London Court of Appeal upheld a Supreme court Ruling in February that the publication of the previous message Meghan Markle wrote to she has Father Thomas Markle after her marriage to the Prince Harry In 2018 it was illegal and breach she has total.
The publisher of Mail on Sunday and the website MailOnline appealed that decision in the Court of Appeal, which held a hearing last month. Senior Judge Jeffrey Voss dismissed this appeal, telling Tennis Court At a brief hearing Thursday that “the Duchess had a reasonable expectation of privacy in the contents of the letter. These contents were personal and private and not matters of legitimate public interest.”
in the current situation, MeganThe ruling, 40, said the ruling was “a victory not only for me, but for anyone who has ever been afraid to stand up for what’s right.”
“While this win sets a precedent, what is most important is that we are now collectively brave enough to reshape the tabloid industry that makes people cruel, and takes advantage of the lies and pain they create,” she She said.
Associated Newspapers disputed Megan’s claim that she He didn’t mean the message for anyone to see but she has the father. They said the correspondence between Megan And she has The then communications secretary, Jason Knauf, showed that the Duchess suspected her father might leak the letter to reporters and wrote it with this in mind.
The publisher also argued that publishing the letter was part of Thomas Markle’s right to respond after People magazine interviewed five of the Meganallegedly friends he is It was ‘too cold’ for him daughter run up she has royal wedding
But Voss said the article, which The Mail on Sunday called “sensational”, was “sprayed as a new public revelation” rather than focusing on Thomas Markle’s response to negative media reports about him.
In their appeal, Associated Newspapers also argued that Megan Dissemination of private information by collaborating with Omid Scobie and Caroline Durand, authors of Finding Freedom, a sympathetic book about her and Harry.
The Duchess’s lawyers had previously denied this she or Harry Collaborated with the authors. But Knauf said in evidence for Tennis Court He provided information to the book and discussed it with them Harry And Megan.
Knauf’s evidence, never before disclosed, was a dramatic turnaround in the long-running case.
The Duchess said she She did not recall discussions with Knauf when she presented evidence earlier in the case, “And I apologize to Tennis Court For the fact that I didn’t remember these exchanges back then.”
“I had absolutely no desire or intent to mislead the defendant or Tennis CourtShe said.
Megan And Harry In early 2020, they announced their resignation from their royal duties and relocation to North America, citing what they said were the intolerable racist intrusions and attitudes of the British media. They have settled in Santa Barbara, California, with their two young children.
in a she has Thursday statement, Megan The Associated Newspapers strongly condemned for treating the lawsuit as a “game without rules.” she She said she They have been subjected to “deception, intimidation and calculated attacks” in the three years since the lawsuit began.
“The longer they last, the more they are able to distort facts and manipulate the audience (even during the appeal itself), making an unusually complex straight case in order to generate more headlines and sell more newspapers—a model that rewards chaos above fact.” she She said.