Bow and arrow attacks in Norway: Suspect charged with police says Kongsberg killings ‘appear to be an act of terrorism’ | world News

The Norwegian Security Agency said the killing of five people in Norway by a man armed with a bow and arrow “appears to be an act of terrorism”.

Four women and a man were killed during a rampage in KongsbergOne police officer, among three others, was wounded.

A statement from PST, Norway’s security service, said: “The events in Kongsberg appear at the moment to be an act of terrorism, but the investigation, led by the South East Police District, will clarify in more detail what the incidents were motivated by.”

Please use Chrome browser for an accessible video player

An eyewitness video showed police helicopters flying and landing near the crime scene.

She said the terrorist threat in Norway had not changed from “moderate”.

“At the same time, PST is working to investigate whether what happened could inspire others to commit serious violence, in the form of follow-up actions, reprisals, and more,” the statement said, before adding that the service “currently has no information that this is the case.” “.

“The accused in the case was known to PST before, without PST being able to provide further details about him,” she said.

The attacker managed to get away from the officers who initially encountered him after they had fired arrows at them. Espen Andersen Bratten, a 37-year-old Danish national living in Kongsberg, was arrested about half an hour later at 6.47pm local time.

More about Kongsberg attacks

Police believe all of the killings occurred during that time.

They say the suspect, who has since been charged with the murders, was previously identified as showing signs of extremism and will now be evaluated by forensic psychiatry experts.

Since then, a deleted video originally posted on YouTube has surfaced online in which Bratten discusses converting to Islam.

Prosecutor Anne Irene Svane Mathiasin said he admitted carrying out the attack.

Police continue to operate in Kongsberg.  Pic: AP
picture:
Police continue to operate in Kongsberg. Pic: AP

Senior officers say the suspect has been convicted multiple times in the past and was the subject of a six-month restraining order against two close family members last year after he threatened to kill one of them.

He was also convicted of burglary and possession of small amounts of cannabis in 2012.

Eyewitnesses described the ‘horrific’ scene after the Kongsberg killingsOne of them described the moment he saw a man with an arrow in his back.

Several of Wednesday’s victims were in a downtown Coop Extra supermarket when they were attacked.

Kongsberg, a small town of about 26,000 people, is located about 41 miles southwest of Oslo.

Local officials said anyone in need of support would be welcome at the city’s main church.

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *