Biden rejects Trump’s efforts to block release of January 6 document | Donald Trump News
Trump sought to assert “executive privilege” to prevent the release of White House documents in a deadly riot at the Capitol.
President Joe Biden refused his predecessor Donald Trump’s request to block the White House tapes The deadly January 6 uprising in the United States Capitol from his handover to congressional investigators.
The former president, who plans to hold a political rally in Iowa on Saturday, is fighting official inquiry By the US House of Representatives in the events January 6Including his actions and the activities of his political aides and advisors.
On that day, Trump gave fiery speech In Washington, D.C., he fronted and urged thousands of his supporters to march into the Capitol as US lawmakers were meeting to certify Biden’s election victory. was later accuse About “inciting rebellion” after a mob stormed the building.
On Friday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the Biden administration would not allow Trump to assert “executive privilege” to block a House committee’s request to investigate the Trump White House document riots.
“The president is dedicated to ensuring that something like this never happens again, which is why the administration is cooperating with ongoing investigations, including the January 6 Select Committee, to shed light on what happened,” Psaki told reporters during an afternoon news conference.
“As part of this process, the President has determined that asserting executive privilege is not warranted for the first set of documents from the Trump White House that the National Archives provided us.”
Trump’s lawyers have sought to prevent Congress from obtaining these records by claiming “executive privilege,” a controversial legal argument that presidents have tried in the past to protect secret internal debates.
NBC News first reported that Biden refused to confirm executive privilege on Trump’s behalf, with White House counsel Dana Remus telling the National Archives in a letter that “confirming executive privilege is not in the interests of the United States.”
“Congress is considering an attack on our Constitution and our democratic institutions, provoked and emboldened by those who have sworn to protect them, and the conduct under investigation far exceeds the usual deliberations relating to the performance of a president’s constitutional duties,” the letter said.
The House Select Committee on Insurgency, made up of seven Democrats and two Republicans, also summoned a number of former Trump aides and organizers of his Jan. 6 rally.
It requested interviews and documents from Trump’s former White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, and Deputy Communications Dan Scavino.
The panel also summoned former Trump political advisor Steve Bannon and Cash Patel, whom Trump appointed to be the acting chief of staff after the November 2020 election.
The Associated Press reported that Bannon’s lawyer told the commission in a letter dated October 7 that he would not comply with the investigation, unless directed to do so by a court, because Trump asserts executive privilege.
In an October 6 statement, Trump called the committee “partisan,” belittled two Republicans as “pathetic” and reiterated his baseless claims that the “real insurgency” occurred on November 3 – the day of the US presidential election.
Trump has Claimed over and over again without any evidence That the vote was marred by widespread fraud and “stolen” from it.
Committee leaders released a statement Friday indicating that Meadows and Patel have so far been cooperating with the committee’s requests and indicated they would take swift action through the Justice Department to compel Bannon to cooperate.
“We will not allow any witness to challenge a legal subpoena or attempt to run out of time and will quickly consider filing a criminal contempt case for Congressional referral,” they said.