IoT devices are booming. Currently, the global number of IoT devices is around 7 billion, excluding smartphones and tablets. Due to the increasing availability of wireless connections and the reduction in hardware costs, the rate of IoT adaptation is only going to increase.
So, how will the rise of IoT affect how we do search engine optimization (SEO)?
IoT will bring significant changes in online marketing and SEO. Still, SEO professionals do not need to focus on large-scale IoT applications such as smart cities and industrial devices.
IoT will change how people search.
Wearable devices, smart watches, voice assistants, smart cars, and connected homes will make many of our existing SEO best practices less effective and less obsolete.
It’s hard to predict how the SEO and online marketing industry will change as IoT devices become more widespread, but we can identify some common trends in how people use these devices and search for them. What is the effect on the habits of
Below are five SEO strategies you should consider in order to prepare for the future of IoT.
1. Prefer voice search.
By 2020, about 50% of all searches will be based on voice. Currently, smart home devices such as Alexa and Google Home take voice commands from users and answer their questions directly. There is no doubt that search engines make these devices more powerful.
Keywords are important, but conversation questions are growing. SEO professionals need. Focus on potential conversation questions and refine your site content accordingly..
- Analyze your content. Find out what kind of conversation questions the user points to your website. Improve the content on your site accordingly.
- A couple of short, straightforward Q&A pairs will help you rank better for voice search. Place these pairs in appropriate places within your main content.
2. Evolution with SERP.
The Google SERP or search engine results page has changed a lot over the years. With prominent snippets, knowledge graphs, and even people asking sections, visitors often don’t need to look at the actual pages of the website. The SERP may change even more to be compatible with IoT devices.
When using a voice or gesture based IoT device, you have no way to check the entire page of a search engine. The same goes for other small screen or screenless IoT devices. Therefore, Any SEO strategy that focuses exclusively on the SERP will be less effective in the future..
- In the near future, users may not need to visit websites in many cases. Search engines will extract the necessary information directly and provide it to users through IoT UIs. SEO experts need to know how to improve the sites featured by search engines, which is tantamount to improving your website for Google Featured Snippets.
3. Take a closer look at IoT-based search media.
So far, most of the SEO efforts have been focused on Google, but IoT is going to terrify the landscape in unexpected ways. How will people find products wearing smart glasses? How would a smart refrigerator find a new ice cream brand and suggest it to you?
Chances are Google will still power most of these searches, but when you ask where your lunch is from, Apple Self-Driving Car won’t choose Google’s top rated restaurant. You got the point.
- It’s okay to focus on Google right now, but you have to keep a close eye on how things are unfolding.. It is important to keep track of how your target customer group is responding to new IoT technologies.
4. Pay more attention to personalization.
People, especially millennials and later generations, expect more personalization from online businesses. This trend is set to grow with the spread of IoT. IoT devices will contain more data about an individual and their search history. From smart refrigerators in homes to smart cars, people will drive,
New tools and platforms for collecting and classifying user data from IoT devices will emerge. SEO professionals need to learn how to analyze and use these data points more effectively. Web content and online advertising can be deeply customized using new IoT data..
- Embrace the data. While the tools can give you a lot of insight, you’ll want to take your analytics skills a step further so that you can make the most of the data you have. Run an A / B test to find out which materials, design styles, pop-up methods, and sales copy work best to convert and captivate your audience. IoT system data will help convert your visitors in the future.
5. Synthesize online and offline data.
SEO has so far focused exclusively on data from online sources (Such as, Google Trends and Keyword Planner), but IoT devices will allow you to tap into the real-world offline data of your target audience. Data from smart devices can be a good signal of the user’s intent that we collect from the web.
Predictive business models are on the rise, and SEO professionals need to adopt this trend in order to predict visitors’ online behavior. In the world of online marketing, IoT devices will play an important role in bringing offline, real life data.
- Monitor the compatibility rate of IoT devices between your users. Although the number of users of smart home appliances such as IoT devices is still relatively low, their popularity will increase in the near future.
- Set realistic goals in your online marketing plan to keep up with the growing popularity of IoT devices. Don’t go too far. The success rate of adoption of these new technologies is generally unpredictable and uneven. On the other hand, don’t underestimate the power of IoT devices or you’ll be left behind in the SEO game.
The future of search.
IoT may not have taken the world by storm yet, as some experts predicted, but there is no doubt that IoT systems will gain popularity and expand on digital marketing and search in the near future. , Will have multifaceted effects. As an SEO expert, the best thing you can do right now is. Focus on voice search, improve Google’s snippets, improve your team’s data analytics skills, and stay up-to-date with the latest changes to IoT..
Written by Amu Galib Chaudhry, Content Writer for Web Elvis.